Saturday, January 5, 2013

Memory #2

12:30! I threw out this magical bulls-eye number prior to running the 100 mile at the Desert Solstice 24 Hour. I didn't really believe I could run this time. For one, it would be a 44 minute improvement on my best 100 mile time(13:14 at the Rocky Road 100 Mile in February) And that was done on fresh legs. this would be my fifth hundred of the year. If that wasn't daunting enough, I had to average 7:30 pace per mile. That seemed impossible. BUT I averaged 6:35's at the World 100k and I thought that was ridiculous. I wanted to end my year the way I started and to do that I couldn't run safe. I was going to go for it! What did I have to lose?

And go for it I did. I settled into a comfortable pace early and allowed Ian Sharman to lap me ......Nine times. I knew the pace Ian was running was realistic for him but it wasn't for me. After gaining a couple of laps back between miles 60 and 70....the rain, wind, and cooler temperatures wreaked havoc on the runners and it eventually took out Ian. Like it was all day..it was a battle against the clock.

With two hours left, I was on pace to break the 100 mile American Record of 12:27, but it was too early to start the push. I decided with one hour left I would make the push and I did. Unfortunately, I could only keep the goal pace for five miles before the wheels started to fall off. I cruised in for a 12:29 finish and the second fastest time in US history on track. I could live with that and the fact I beat my goal time by 26 seconds:)

What a way to end the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment